|Rimini is a town of ancient origins, the first settlements appear in the V cent
B.C. The Roman town was founded in 268 B.C. with the name of Ariminum, of this period we
still have the Augusto arch and the Tiberio bridge that are located at the extreme parts
of the town. From Ariminum the via Emilia linked all the valley to Piacenza.
In the Imperial and first Middle
Age time, the town was invaded and it was capital of the "Pentapoli Marittima"
territory, under the Bizantine State. With the economic recovery of the XI cent, the town
had a quite florid period; during the Comuni period the Palazzo del Comune and the Palazzo
del Podesta' were built.
Between the end of the
XIII cent. and the half of the XIV cent. the Scuola Riminese was born, influenced by
Giotto who painted in the town the Crucifix; the school has its major exponent in Neri,
Giovanni, Giulano, Pietro and Francesco and Giovanni Baronzio; these maestri spread their
works in the Alta Valle del Metauro region.
Under the Malatesta the
town had a very florid period showed by the temple that was designed by Leon Battista
At the beginning of the
XIV cent the town went back to the Church State until 1859; after that in 1860 the town
joined the other towns and became part of Italy Reign. In the following period Rimini was
open to new ideas and cultural innovations. The Fascist period meant for Rimini a falling
into a close minded period represented by Federico Fellini in some of his movies.
After the war the town
came across a touristic invasion that made of it one of the most famous seaside resorts.
However the ancient tradition gives the town a cultural aspect that still maintains alive
with its churches, Medieval palaces, libraries and museums.