Urbania territory had its first settlements in the classic age: the Roman town hall of uUrbinum metaurense, situated 6 Km far from the nowadays town, was actually destroyed by the Goti in 535 and 553 AD . Since the beginning of Christianity (VI-VII cent.) the area has got more churches, convents. The first name of the town was Castel delle Ripe, it was destroyed twice, during the XIII cent. by the town of Urbino. Rebuilt in 1282 by Papa Martino IV it was called Casteldurante. In 1367 Casteldurante was the capital of the Massa Trabaria and since 1424 was part of the Urbino Ducat with the Montefeltro and Della Rovere families. In constant conflict with Urbino, was promoted diocese in 1636, taking the nowadays name of Urbania (from Papa Urbano II) since then it belonged to the Pontificio State.
The territory and economic activities
Urbania municipality the valley has grown and the aspect is characterized by the alluvial
valley and by the hills that surround it. The countryside presents remains of the ancient
way of cultivating and this contributes to the pleasant aspect of the territory, but still
the agricultural system is modern especially in the close valley.
|In Urbania the valley has grown|
The centre has architectural buildings of different ages. The ancient Torre Campanaria is in Roman style, Gothic is the ancient main door of the Church of the Dead (that contains the mummies cemetery); but the most substantial presence is Renaissance: the Ducal Palace dominating the town (XV-XVI) residence of the Urbino Dukes, The public library (founded by Francesco II della Rovere); the building has even the civic museum and the museo della civilta' contadina in it. 1 k. Far from there, there is the hunting residence of the Dukes ; restored by the architect Girolamo Genga in '500, was transformed by the monks Zoccolanti in the half of XVIII cent. The Corpus Domini oratory presents Renaissance remains. (The most important come from the Palazzo Ducale in Urbino). In Santa Caterina church we have remains of Gothic style, while the San Giovanni Battista del Parco and San Francesco offer examples of Vanvitellian architecture. The Cathedral stands on the remains of the ancient Abbey church of S. Cristoforo del Ponte (IX cent.) and it was restored several times: the major intervent was operated by the architect Giuseppe Tosi (half '700), while the front side is dated 1870 and the new bell tower 1958. attached to the bell tower is the Episcopal Palace (XIV-XV cent.)today Diocesi Museum. Other important buildings are the Municipality Palace rebuilt at half XVI cent ), the Prepositura Palace and the Palazzetto del Monte di Pieta'(both XV cent).
The Ducal Palace, today library and civic museum site
|The Parco Ducale, hunting residence of the dukes of Urbino|
The very rich art patrimony is kept in the main two museums (Civic and Diocesi) and in the numerous churches, we give a list of them:
Church and convent of San Francesco:
Corpus Domini oratory:
Federico Barocci, la Madonna delle nuvole (end XVI cent.)particular. Holy crucifix church
|Roman school, Urbano VIII, oil on canvas, XVII cent. Civic Museum .It was because of the pope that Urbania took this name leaving the Casteldurante one|
museum situated (together with the library)in the ducal palace:
Diocesi museum in the Episcopal palace:
Little jug of Casteldurante(half XVI cent.)Civic Museum
Apollo follows Daphne Piatto Guido Durantino(1524 circa)Casteldurante or Urbino, diocese museum
||"A flower of the city "is a festival of flowers and plants that takes place every year in April|
|Restaurants:||Al solito posto|
|Ebe & Renato|
|Pro Loco Urbania|
For more information we
suggest other sites about Mercatello, the webs will be linked inside new windows. This
one, in www. AltoMetauro, will stay open in case you want to carry on the navigation.
Thank you for visiting us, our pages are constantly up-dating.